Monday, January 01, 2007

Happy New Year 2007

Well, here it is. The sun is shining and the birds are singing to welcome the new year. It’s another perfect summer’s day here in Adelaide.

Last night I went to a friend’s house with a whole bunch of other people to see in 2007. It was a classic Aussie party. The main difference between this party and past ones was the number of friends who now have kids. Once they were all safely put to bed inside it was time to break out the grog (booze, alcohol – whatever you lot call it) and the tucker (food), get down to some disco tunes (thanks Matt) and catch up with people.

I think I got home about 3am. Hard to say… I certainly had my fill of the fruit of the vine! Plans for today are minimal, keeping with another fine Aussie tradition.

Woke up to the news that there have been a bunch of bombings in Bangkok. Yippie, I’m off to a war zone in five days - despite what the government says. I'm inclined to agree with my mum who quipped that it would probably be safer after an attack than before since all the law enforcement agencies would be on high alert. She should know; she was in the USA during and immediately after September 11.

Of course, everything depends on if I can get out of the airport in one piece, which according to this article seems to becoming a less likely proposition, day by day....

No comments: